Retiree Chapter Benefits
Retiree Chapter Supplemental Health Benefits
The Retiree Chapter has worked with the CSA Welfare Fund and the union leadership to design a supplemental health benefit program that is geared toward helping its members with some out-of-pocket expenses in relation to hospitalizations, medical procedures and home care.
For a complete list of Retiree Chapter medical and health benefits that supplement the CSA Retiree Welfare Fund benefits, click HERE.
Among the highlights of the program:
- Seamless claim processing through the CSA Retiree Welfare Fund. Medical claims submitted to the CSA Retiree Welfare Fund are automatically processed for chapter supplemental benefits.
- The Retiree Chapter pays 15 percent of the CSA Retiree Welfare Fund payment on invasive exams, surgery, anesthesia, private duty nursing, home health aides, radiation and chemotherapy, catastrophic stop loss and prescription co-pays.
- Hearing aids: Up to $800 towards out-of-pocket expenses
- Optical: Up to $55 towards out-of-pocket expenses
The overarching philosophy of the Chapter and the Welfare Fund is that while you or your spouse/ domestic partner are coping with illness or rehabilitation, you shouldn’t have to worry about medical expenses. In addition to the health benefits, the Retiree Chapter provides an Outreach Program designed to help you find government services for which you may be eligible.
Discount Theater Tickets
The CSA Retiree Chapter offers discount theater tickets through several programs.
- Stanley Wilson gets tickets for a number of different shows from the Theater Development Fund (TDF); Vivian Lieber calls retirees from a master list to see who is interested in tickets. If you agree to take a ticket, you must pay for it regardless of whether you use it. Contact Michael Ebenstein or Martin Smith (212) 823-2020 for information about getting on the master list.
- Plum Benefits can save you time and money, providing access to discounts on great seats for theater, sports, concerts, family events and more. You can purchase tickets for yourself or for your school. Visit www.plumbenefits.com to check out the comprehensive online Entertainment Guide, which includes a wide variety of offers and events and easy-to-use search. To register, click on “employee sign up.” Enter your CSA or NYC school email address. If you choose to use a different email address, you may contact the Plum Benefits customer service team at (212) 660-1888, or via email at email@example.com and say that you are a member of CSA. They will email you the offers at your personal email address. To order tickets, click "offer details" to read the selected event’s description, click the link or call the phone number listed, and mention the corresponding code. (Or, bring a printout of the Guide to the event's Box Office to avoid phone-ordering service fees.)
- The CSA Retiree Chapter has tickets for other plays and performances through the School Theater Ticket Program. Call Michael Ebenstein at (212) 823-2020 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
My Alarm Button Medical Alert System
The My Alarm Button Medical Alert System is an around-the-clock monitoring system that can send help immediately if you've had an accident and can't get to a telephone. The system features a two-way link with an emergency response center that provides 24/7 monitoring, water-resistent pendants that you wear, an easy five-minute set-up, no long-term commitment and no set-up charges. It is available in all 50 states and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
We've arranged for CSA members (in-service and retirees), their families and their friends to purchase this service for $19.95 per month. This is the same company that offers this service through the major chain pharmacies for $29.95 per month, or more. Included in the price are two emergency buttons (necklace, wristband or belt clip).
You can order this at myalarmbutton.com or you can call 1-800-619-9114. (If you call, ask for Susie; she will also give everyone an extra panic button for the bathroom.)
About 4,000 people die as a result of home accidents each year and more than 33 percent are 65 or older. Getting quick medical assistance could make the difference. If you have any questions, you can call the Retiree Chapter at 212 823-2020.
The American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA), AFL-CIO
CSA’s national union, the American Federation of School Administrators, provides member benefits including insurance and legal services. To activate some member benefits, members must fill out an AFSA beneficiary form. Click here to download the form, or visit the AFSA website for more information. (Some benefits are only available for in-service members; associate members and retirees are not eligible.)
AFSA offers programs that have been designed to meet the specific needs of school administrators and supervisors.¨As a member of CSA and AFSA, you are automatically enrolled in certain benefits when you pay your union dues. These benefits fall under the AFSA Legal Action Trust and the AFSA Insurance Policy. These benefits and programs are made possible to AFSA members at discounted prices due to AFSA's affiliation with the AFL-CIO. To qualify for these benefits, you need only be a member in good standing.
AFSA’s accidental death policy: CSA Retiree Chapter members are eligible for AFSA’s $10,000 no-cost Accidental Death policy. You must fill out the AFSA Beneficiary Form to initiate coverage. Click here to download the form. Mail to the address at the bottom of the form. (Spouses and domestic partners are ineligible for this benefit.)
CSA affiliations that provide money-saving discounts
Through the AFL-CIO and other affiliations, CSA provides members with many opportunities to save money. Discounts are available on an endless range of services including online purchases, tires, insurance, travel, health clubs, amusement parks, movies and many other services and products.
Union Plus is offered through the AFL-CIO. It provides consumer benefits to members and retirees of participating labor unions. Union Plus offers many products and services, including travel discounts on hotels, car rentals and more.
CSA members and retirees may receive online discounts through CSA/AFSA’s affiliation with Working Advantage. To access the discounts, visit the Working Advantage website, click on the tab that says “Register,” then click where it says “Employees Click Here.” On the registration page, enter CSA/AFSA’S Member ID number, 744387769. You can use your personal email address to register and log on. Problem logging on? Call Working Advantage, at (800) 565-3712.
Discounts on Insurance
MetLife Long Term Care
Group coverage at group rates with a cost less than you expected. Call to request a no-obligation Information & Enrollment Kit, including your Personalized Plan Proposal: 1-800-GET MET 8 (438-6388) or visit www.metlife.com/mybenefits.
MetLife Auto & Home
When you apply for coverage through this group insurance plan, you could benefit from special group rates. Convenient payment options, extended customer service options, 24-hour claim service. Call 800-GET MET 8 (438-6388) or visit www.metlife.com/mybenefits.